Friday, January 18, 2008

Ephesians 1

I try to memorize scripture while I am on the treadmill. This does more than one thing:
1. I hide God's word in my heart.
2. I'm changing more than my body while I am on the treadmill
3. It reminds me what I'm after. My purpose is not this broken body and making it "hot". I'm after an eternal goal of sanctification. (I obviously need to be reminded because I forget this goal frequently!)

I have been reading Ephesians through for a month or so. I will skip around some mornings and just read the last couple of chapters or the middle one or just the first. The last few mornings, I have been meditating on this series of verses: 11-14. Yesterday I could only get verse 11 memorized. It is so full of meaning and rabbit trails! Your mind can go in so many directions. This morning I confirmed verse 11 and moved on to verses 12 and 13, with a stab at memorizing verse 14 as well.

"11In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will, 12in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. 13And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, 14who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory."

When you read this, what do you think about God's plan for you? What is "the purpose of His will"? What does it mean for us to "be for the praise of His glory"? What does it mean to you to be "included into Christ"? What is the benefit of being "included into Christ"? Who guarantees your inheritance? If your inheritance is guaranteed, can it be revoked? Did you catch the last verse ... "the redemption of those who are God's possession"! Wow. To be possessed by God is unspeakable. What does it look like for you to be possessed by God?

These are some of the questions I ask myself as I am sweating along on the treamill. It makes 35 minutes go by very fast. :)

No comments: