Tuesday, January 04, 2011

A Clarification and Some Thoughts

So, I've been thinking about my New Year's Resolutions. In my previous post about New Year's Resolutions, I said that the song that expressed the thoughts of my heart is the Coca-Cola song from the 70's. That's sort of true. The real message that my subconscious sings is, "Let's all just be happy."

I like serenity. I like music with no words. I like quiet. I like a soft tone of voice and a gentle spirit in my relationships. I like the absence of conflict.

That doesn't always happen in life. Can I get an "amen"?

There's chaos, disagreements, misunderstandings, harsh words, angry eyebrows and general grumpiness from time to time. I don't like that.

Thus, it would appear that I choose to prick myself like a voodoo doll with every possible way I can please everyone I come into contact with. Unconsciously, I try to please everyone, everyday, in every way.

Mercy. That gets burdensome.

So, while I unconsciously want "to buy the world a home and furnish it with love...", I'm waking up to the realization that I cannot possibly make everyone happy. I'm sure as I work on my NY resolution of "not caring what anyone thinks" that I will make some mistakes. I hope I can learn to buy the world a Coke, teach the world to sing in harmony and leave the "perfect" part to Jesus. Because, as cute as the 70's Coke commercial is ... it is simply not reality.

The only way we will sing in perfect harmony is when Christ comes back to make everything new. In the meantime, I get to be kind, patient, gentle, faithful, trusting, shrewd ... and not care what others think.

No comments: