Thursday, August 28, 2008

Drama

As you know, I've been reading Jane Austen recently. I have read Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice and am now reading Mansfield Park.

I have come to the conclusion that drama does not go out of style. Jane Austen's characters are quite the drama queens and kings. Take Mr. Collins for example. He is the obsequiously proud character in Pride and Prejudice. After having his marriage proposal flat out refused by Elizabeth, he continues verbally fawning at her feet with the following, "I am therefore by no means discouraged by what you have just said, and shall hope to lead you to the alter ere long." Pul-leez.

Now, on considering how the Austen characters are full of drama, I thought of the grandious words we fling around today. "That was awesome!" "It was a miracle!" "I was amazed." "It left me speechless." Ok, now come on. How many of us women are truly left speechless? We're standing there talking about it, afterall.

Drama is a good thing. It never goes out of style. As you choose your words today, consider your drama level. Are you a 4 out of 10 on the drama scale? I think I tend to be about an 8 out of 10 most days ... especially on the days I eat chocolate cake. "It was to die for..."

No comments: