Wednesday, August 27, 2008

2 postings for August

Impressive. That's quite a blog hiatus. If I did have any readers of this humble blog, they have long trickled away. Since it's just you and me, can I ask you something?

As a writer, do you ever have those times when you sit down to your keyboard and feel so awkward? It's like I'm in jr high all over again. I've determined to ignore the mocking sound from my brain. The very brain that is supposed to be assisting me in my writing has, for the past month, teased and mocked me when I sit down to write. I have decided to persevere in this brain wrestle. I will not be mocked. I will blog, no matter how awkward the words feel to me.

Awkward. Isn't that a perfect spelling for that word? The k flanked by the w's is just awkward looking. Perfect spelling.

So, one of the things I have been doing in August is reading Jane Austen. My friends. This is no easy task. I do not speak "Austen-ese". I stopped at one point and simply counted the words in the sentence I had just read. I counted out loud so that King could be duly impressed with my undertaking of classical literature. Sixty-seven words in that one sentence. Not just any words, mind you. Words and phrases like obsequiousness and "joyful alacrity" and abhorrent and prodigiously. Jane Austen seemed to be very fond of the words "exceedingly" and "amiable". Actually, I think she was fond of words in general.

I'm hooked. It takes a while to get the hang of the language, but the joys of reading Austen are wide and deep. She had a great sense of humor.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am a faithful reader and look forward to any blog entries by my delightfully funny and insightful friend.