Thursday, September 15, 2011

Cto5K

September 14th begins my couch to 5K expedition.  I am thrilled to be able to even attempt this.  I don't talk about this much on my blog, but I have a neuromuscular disorder called Periodic Paralysis (PP).  My muscle cells have a genetic mutation in the ion channels which results in periods of time where I am weak or completely paralyzed from the neck down.  My pregnancy and resulting hormonal fluctuations triggered my Periodic Paralysis and I have learned how to manage it over the years.  In the early years, I came close to dying several times during paralysis episodes.  Now, thanks to a couple of general doctors, I have managed by health to the point where I can work, ride and train my horse and be active outside.

Before PP, I was very active.  I jogged and did inline skating.  It's been almost 13 years, but I am just getting back to where I can attempt to jog again. I used the Get Running app and feel very pleased with my run.  I know it will take me more than 9 weeks to reach the 5K mark because I am going into the time of year when I am paralyzed often (sometimes every morning).  I don't have a finish date in mind.  I will just keep plugging along as I can, knowing that each time I get out and jog is a victory in and of itself!!

No comments: